Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Philosophizing from the Porcelain Throne: My Yoga Quest to God


I was inspired by my first blog comment to not succumb to my lazy ways today - hence the following post. So really we have Winnie to thank. Thank you Winnie!

Today I will ponder Yoga. I used to practice a lot of yoga, and by a lot, I mean  A LOT, like 2-3 hours a day. I was coincidentally unemployed, so that did free up a significant amount of time. However; like all responsible adults, I moved to a big city and got a "real job",  started a relationship and "didn't have time" for yoga anymore. In fact, I hadn't practiced yoga for almost 2 years. I went to a yoga class last night.  Awesome.. I cant even begin to describe how awesome, I had awesomesauce dripping off me, it was that awesome.

So now you know why yoga is on my mind. This morning, while I was, I'll admit it, on the toilet, because c'mon some of the best ideas are made on the porcelain throne; I had an entire conversation with myself about how yoga is my religion.  It wasn't really a conversation with myself, it was one of those internal conversations where you imagine someone is interviewing you and you reply with the perfect answer.  Well this was a discourse on Religion and Yoga..and it was beautiful.

I like these "interviews" with myself because it  gives me a chance to analyze and work through how I think or feel about different topics. In my case, I did not grow up a religious person but I did grow up an inquisitive person. My parents always encouraged my questions and tended to take a more philosophical approach to life.

In my mock interview, I was asked if I actually studied religion, because you cant just make a conjecture like "Yoga is Religion".  And yes, through all my Quest-ioning (because searching for these types of answers is a quest, a life-long quest) I can conclude that, for now, my quest is taking the path of yoga.  Yoga may not be a "religion" but it is a means to a peaceful state of mind, opening me up to ideas, feelings and opportunities I didn't even know were out there.

I firmly believe we are all searching for the same things and that each person has their own unique pathway and for some the answers reside in one religion or another.  I feel the pathway that allows you to feel truly at peace with yourself and aware of who you are at your core and that improves you as a human being, is probably the right path, whatever that may be. For me, it is yoga.  And after a 2 year hiatus, I feel reborn again and I'm loving it.


Om Baby,
-RF





1 comment: